Savior

Savior is a world in which you are the hero. A VR experience - Join us in one reality, or another...

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Leric

My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} Empty
PostSubject: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 11:09 pm

It was a warm cottage, a welcoming sort of place once you were inside it. Warm blankets were everywhere, and the scent of a wood-burning fire was a nearly constant scent. Underneath that though were the more unpleasant things that could not be erased. The way that everything was perfectly neat and orderly. The sterile smell lingering and hiding beneath the more welcoming one. And always, always the low sound of a steady beep.

Beep, beep, beep.

The constant reminder of life in his home.

Leric sat beside the source of that sound, his hand touching the hand of someone who had not held it back in so long that he knew he had forgotten what it felt like for it to hold him back. He knew, even if it twitched in his hand right now, that it wouldn't be the same. His heart yearned for something he could not imagine with every beep that echoed in his ears. The thought made his head ride low on his shoulders, his eyes closed against the sight of the world around him.

Knock, knock.

The unfamiliar sound drew him from the depths of his contemplation. Drew him upwards in mind and body to the world. He gave one last tender pat to the hand he held and tucked it beneath the warm soft blanket and headed for the door. He was not surprised by the sound; he was expecting a rare guest today, but he'd let himself get too far inside his head.

Slowly the door drew open, and the sight of an old familiar friend drew another rare thing in his life. A smile. He smiled and held his hand out toward the man waiting for him on the other side of the door.

"Old friend, it is good to see you again." Already he was moving out of the way, stepping to the side and welcoming the other man into the cabin which was really less a cabin and more a house made from logs.

Last edited by Leric on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hobbes

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Knock, knock.

Dunstan rapped on the doorframe for a third time, and then looked down to make sure his dark blue suit and stripped blue tie was still in place where it belonged.  He let out a sigh and started to turn to where he knew the spare key was kept when he heard the door swing slowly open.  He snapped back to where he had stood sentinel at the door waiting for an answer and tried to pretend that nothing was amiss and nothing had transpired.  His left hand dropped behind his back, concealing the item that it held.  Dunstan's old friend, and former boss let slip a smile and reached a hand out in greeting.  Dunstan knew that smiles were in short supply in Leric's life right now, so he did his best to put on a good face.  He returned the smile, and eagerly took the offered hand.

"Old friend, it is good to see you again."  The handshake concluded, and Dunstan slipped into the opening Leric created in the doorway.  He twisted his body slightly to keep the item in his left hand out of sight as he entered the cabin.

"Indeed.  I fear my duties seem to be ever expanding and leave not enough time to take the trek out here to see the two of you."  His head twists briefly to the source of the Beep, beep, beep that continues to echo in the cabin.  "You really should consider moving closer in to the city, although..."  His gaze caught at one of the windows.  "... it's hard to beat the view."
Back to top Go down
Leric

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 11:40 pm

With Dunstan safely inside the house, Leric closed the door behind him. It closed with a soft click, and out of habit locked it as well. He was not paying close attention to his old friend, trusting that Dunstan would follow him further into his home and to the one place they both knew he longed to be.

So he made his way back toward the beeping, to a room that was decorated more for a little girl than for the immobile young woman that it held. There was a massive mural painted of the wall, an amazingly realistic sea-life painting with tons of tropical fish and the suggestion of larger animals swimming in the background. There were stuffed animals - mostly fish - littered throughout the room, but all of them neatly placed.

Leric pulled up a chair beside the bed for Dunstan and then sat in his, finally turning to face the other man. He felt his years as he took his seat. Old bones creaking and complaining at being so used. "You did not just come for my view did you? You look tired."
Back to top Go down
Hobbes

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 am

Dunstan dutifully followed his old friend back to the room he never really left.  A tear forming slowly in the corner of his eye as he saw yet again what had become of the vibrant, excited visionary he used to call boss.  He let his hidden hand come back around to his chest, revealing the bouquet of flowers he had been hiding.  A rainbow of different flowers surrounded a quartet of golden pixie lily.  As if by rote, Dunstan entered the room and went straight to a dresser on the edge of the room where an identical but withered bouquet sat in a crystal vase.  He picked up the withered set, tossing it into a nearby small garbage tin before setting the new flowers and turning around to face his friend, all traces of his sorrow wiped away.

He smiled.  "There's no hiding anything from you is there."  He sighed softly and sat down in the offered seat.  "They moved me to the board of directors... Which is not bad.  But it means they gave my job as head of security away to someone else."  He let a small frown cross his features.  "I feel like they're trying to remove anyone from the original crew away from the game.  Not letting us see where they're going to take it."
Back to top Go down
Leric

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 9:43 am

It was difficult to sit beside the young woman in the bed beside Leric and not look at her. Partially because he could not sit there beside her bed without looking at her himself. She was a beautiful girl, her skin paled by the lack of light, but still a warm tone of light bronze. Her hair was what Leric's had been in his youth, a vibrant golden color that matched that of the pixie lilies that Dunstan had brought into the room. It was straight and carefully tended to so that it did not fluff out or fly away. Today he had braided it for her, so it sat coiled around her head like a snake.

Leric's own hair had long since gone white, he had grayed when he was still in his twenties but it was as if the stress of what had happened to his daughter had stolen all the color out of his hair entirely. It aged him, and he looked his years and more. He was not nearly as sedentary as he looked however, nor as soft. Beneath his softened skin, wrinkles, and aching bones he had the same whip-quick wit that had allowed him to give birth to Savior and its technology all those years ago.

"I told you they would." His voice was hard and unforgiving. "Did I not say when say when they took the company from me that they would lessen your roll in it too? That's why I told you to distance yourself from me." Leric sighed. "At least they are letting you stay on the board of directors. Just... be careful you maintain a presence in the game."

"They will try to keep you busy with board meetings and things of that nature, try lessen your time in the game until no one knows who you are anymore and then... they can safely retire you." It was a grim outlook. One that was born from years of cynicism. "What about the new hire? What is he like?"
Back to top Go down
Hobbes

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 10:04 am

Dunstan's gaze did occasionally stray to the young woman in the bed. "My god, she's gotten so big" he muttered under his breath. But since he had only ever known her as a bed ridden emplacement within Leric's life, his attention was focused more on the man he had come to think of as his mentor.

"I know you told me that. I just wanted to believe differently." He shook his head and fidgeted with one of the buttons on his suit. "I have not met him yet. A little bit of me is dreading it. I know it sounds weird, but nobody really wants to come face to face with their replacement. It's like they actually believe that I can't do my job anymore." He sighed, then let a lopsided grin spread across his face. "You and I both know that they will never be able to keep me out of the game."

He noticed his button in his hand and shifted in his seat to make it more difficult to fidget with it. "They may have strong armed you out of the company, but thanks to your wisdom over the years, I have enough invested that they will never be able to take me away entirely." He let his brow furrow slightly. "I don't know why you didn't let me stop them from pushing you out." A slight look of surprise lit behind his eyes, and he looked over to the young woman in the bed. "Unless..."
Back to top Go down
Leric

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am

It was hard, listening to his friend talk about the company Leric himself had built forcing people out. Forcing him out. Forcing Dunstan out. It was hard to know where things had gone so wrong. Maybe it had all been this way from the very beginning and he had been blind to it. Perhaps it had happened later when he had been too caught up in development to notice what was happening.

He nodded to Dunstan, but the man's statement that they would never be able to keep him out of the game only made his own wounds hurt all the more. He had thought once that they would never be able to keep him out of the game. Yet once they had 'retired' him, they had deleted his profile and now... His hand clutched reflexively around that of his daughters, trying not to hold on too tight, but he was clinging to his rock and he knew it.

"Take your measure of him once you do, I'm interested to know who they think can replace you." He watched Dunstan fidget, feeling a touch of warmth toward his friend rise up. It seemed that this situation had him more ill at ease than he wanted to admit.

Dunstan looked over at Leric's daughter, and Leric glanced at her too out of habit, but there was nothing so he returned his attention to the conversation. "You know why I left the company Dunstan. I might have owned it, but they weren't listening to a single word I said. They won't let me do the one thing that's most important to me. Not even on my own free time. Hopeless they said! Hopeless and a waste of time."

Suddenly Leric let his daughter's hand go, worried he might bruise it and turned his gaze to the doorway. "Come on, I'll make us something to drink. Malinda made me some smoothies while she was here. The woman is a saint. I have mountain dew; I know that's your perfected drink." He made a somewhat amused noise in the back of his throat as he headed back through the house.

He led the way to the kitchen, a grand affair he hardly used. Still, he puttered around pulling a gallon jug out of the fridge and pouring out some of the smoothie inside into a cup. "I hear that there is going to be an event soon."
Back to top Go down
Hobbes

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 am

"I'll try. You know I was never the best person to read someone. Neither of us were..." He pulled up short, knowing that if he continued his comment, it would probably be too strong of a memory for his friend to go through. He let his friend go through his speech without saying anything. He had told Leric at one point that he needed to either run the company, or find someone who would be able to do so while giving the two of them all the creative freedom they craved to continue their research and development. Instead, the board had seized control when Leric's attention was elsewhere and installed someone that they knew would be better at turning a profit for the company.

Dunstan chuckled and stood, following Leric towards the kitchen. "Good to know she still takes care of both of you." He slowly nodded his head to Leric's question. "Yeah, there is some sort of big event coming up. But for some reason, John... Sorry, Mr Bosley has been completely absent of details. All he ever tells us is that it will 'make the company a lot of money.'" He shakes his head and lets a long sigh escape. "I have NEVER seen a group of more complacent shareholders and directors than we seem to have. Nobody asks any questions, they all just seem to take every word this guy says and hang on it like he's some sort of messiah."

He grabbed one of the mountain dews in the fridge as the door was closing and opened it up with the smooth motion of someone who's done that exact action thousands of times. "I will give him one thing though. He seems to be great at PR. That man could spin a 12 car pileup into sounding like a necessary research project that will save lives."
Back to top Go down
Leric

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 11:59 am

"So it's John's idea." Leric mused aloud and tapped his fingers on the counter. It was a too-thoughtful pose. "I wouldn't have pegged him as someone who was even capable of an idea for the game beyond how to monetize it. You remember how quickly he jumped on the idea of making sure that insurance companies would pay for F.I.S.H."

It had been one of the last sticking points between Leric and his company. The marketing of the units that he had built to those in comas for 'mental rehabilitation'. He gripped his glass so tightly that his knuckles turned white, and his face was set into an expression of grim determination. "I built F.I.S.H for people in coma's." The words were cold, and he shook his head several times before picking up his smoothie. "The company should have been giving them to those in need, but..."

He trailed off. They both knew that was not how it had worked out. He made a motion to Dunstan, to follow him again. A firm determination was set in the straight line of his back. There had been something echoing in the back of his mind since before Dunstan had shown up on his doorstep. A thought that would not leave and which had begun to fester there.

It seemed it was time to share it.

-End
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}   My Girl {Leric and Dunstan} I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Girl {Leric and Dunstan}
Page 1 of 1